At this writing, I’m wrestling with this tough decision myself. I never thought my dog’s mobility decline would lead me here. She has autoimmune issues and decreased kidney function, and I thought those diseases would eventually inform my decision.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Has her vet monitored her health and prescribed therapies that (until now) have worked?
- How is her appetite?
- Pooping normally and regularly?
- Peeing normally and regularly?
How is her mobility? And her activity level?
- Moving slower
- Trouble getting up
- No more stairs
- Shorter walks
- Limping – intermittent or constant
- Sits or quits on walks?
Are you using pain management?
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
- Are these working?
Have you exhausted all options such as TCM, herbs, acupuncture, massage, a change in diet, supplements, BP meds, insulin, physical therapy, specialists and second opinions?